When you are facing the various symptoms of the allergy what you will want quickly is the relief and over the counter allergy medicine can surely help you to get instant relief from the symptoms. Sometimes, it may not be possible for you to go to the doctor to get relief from the symptoms of the allergy. At that time you can take the over the counter medicines. You should always go for the best allergy medication.
When you can take over the counter allergy medicine:
It is true that when you take the prescribed allergy medicines it is much safer. In that case the doctor will prescribe you the right medicine and will also tell you about the amount in which you should take the medicine. However, sometimes you may not be in a position to go to the doctor and in that case to get instant relief from the symptoms of the allergy you can take the over the counter medicines. If you feel the symptoms of the allergy lightly then you can go for these medicines. However, when you are taking these medicines you should also be aware about the side effects of those medicines. You should always search for the best medicine to take for allergies.
Some of the best medicines:
There are plenty of such medicines available in the market. However, there are some common options among them which people generally take from the market. Some of them are given below.
- Cromolyn sodium
- Topical Corticosteroid
Some of these medicines are available in pill or tablet forms. Some of them are taken as liquids. In some cases the anti allergy over the counter medicines are taken as inhalers. You can find them as the best medicine to take for allergies.
- Antihistamine will give you relief from itchy eyes and nose, sneezing, stuffy nose, runny nose and many more. This medicine is available as nasal spray, liquid, and pills. It is the most effective allergy medicine.
- Decongestant can give you relief from the congestion of the nose. It will reduce the amount of fluid in your nose. As a result you will get relief from the stuffy nose. Generally these medicines are available in the pill form.
- Sometimes the antihistamine and decongestant is taken together. This over the counter allergy medicine will also help you to get rid of itchy rashes, sneezing and full head feeling. It can be used as the best allergy medication.
- Cromolyn sodium is also quite helpful for giving your relief runny and itchy nose, sneezing, watery eyes and runny nose. This medicine is available as spray.
- Topical corticosteroid is available in ointment or cream form and this medicine is generally used for the skin allergies. It will give you relief from irritated, dry or burning skin. It can also be considered as the most effective allergy medicine.
OTC medicine for Asthma:
Over the counter allergy medicine is also available for Asthma. You can get the combinations of theophylline and ephedrine, epinephrine inhalers as some of the options. However, Asthma is a much more serious allergy and this is why you should not generally try to do the treatment of your own. If you use the over the counter medicines wrongly in this case it can lead you to much serious health issues including sudden heart attack also. So, you need to be extremely cautious.
It is true that some of the over the counter medicines have some side effects. So, if you are taking any over the counter medicine you should also try to know about the side effects of that medicine. If there are not any serious side effects then it is fine. However, if there is a chance of any serious side effect then it will be better to avoid the use of such medicines to get rid of the symptoms of the allergy. You can find some allergy medicine not working. You should not use them for long.
How to use these medicines:
There are some necessary things which you must keep in mind while using the over the counter allergy medicine. As you are taking these medicines mostly without the prescription of any doctor you need to be much more cautious.
- First of all you should take over the counter allergy medicine if you feel the symptoms of the allergy are mild. If you feel that the symptoms have become serious you must consult a doctor.
- You should be aware of the side effects associated with many such over the counter medicines so that you can take precautionary measures for the same.
- You should surely check the expiry dates of the over the counter medicines. You should know whether those are valid till date. If you find any such medicine expire you should just flush it away. You will find the allergy medicine not working or having other bad effects.
- You should store the medicines in the proper place. You should store them in cool and dry place so that you can get the best result of the medicine easily.
- You should always keep these medicines away from the reach of the children of the house.